Use of personal information
By registering to sit the Law Admission Test (LAT):
1. The Australian Council for Educational Research Ltd (ABN 19 004 98 145) (ACER) will collect your personal information for the purposes (the Purpose) of administering and finalising all activities to complete the purposes for which you undertook the LAT which includes:
(i) all purposes connected with administering the LAT;
(ii) research purposes;
(iii) provision to the universities for which the LAT is a prerequisite; and
(iv) identifying any misconduct and candidates who may have engaged in misconduct as specified on the LAT website and for application of penalties in respect to any misconduct.
The information ACER may collect about you includes your registration information, payment details, LAT answers and results, application (if any) for reasonable adjustments and communications with ACER in respect of LAT. Should you choose not to provide your relevant personal information then you may not be able to sit the LAT and/or receive the benefit of the Purpose;
2. You CONSENT to ACER in pursuit of the Purpose:
- collecting, using and disclosing any sensitive (such as health) information, for example, in case you need reasonable adjustments in sitting the LAT; and
- ACER using your personal information for research purposes, however, any disclosure to research bodies of data resulting from your undertaking the LAT will only occur in de-identified form;
3. Your personal information may be disclosed in pursuit of the Purpose by ACER to:
- ACER contractors which may assist ACER from time to time;
- your relevant educational institution;
- specialists, consultants or other relevant professionals, for example, in respect of application for reasonable adjustments; and
- where required to do so by law, to government agencies or their representatives;
4. ACER may transfer some of your personal information outside of Australia to its current provider of remote proctoring, Meazure Learning (located in the USA) in respect of any reasonable adjustments you may have been granted by ACER to sit the LAT (no health information is transferred) and information necessary to resolve any query or complaint you have.
By registering to sit the LAT:
(i) You CONSENT to the transfer of your personal information to the USA as specified above.
Under the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Principles) ACER is bound to take steps, reasonable in the circumstances, to ensure any overseas entity it discloses personal information to complies with those Principles.
IF YOU CONSENT to such disclosure, ACER will not have to take steps to ensure compliance by the entity with the Australian Privacy Principles.
THE CONSEQUENCES OF GIVING SUCH CONSENT ARE:
a. the USA may not have similar privacy laws or measures by which you may pursue any of your rights in respect of privacy as that of Australia; and/or
b. the entity may not handle your personal information in the manner designated by the Principles and you may not have any mechanism with which to seek redress.
(ii) You will need to provide your personal information to Meazure Learning to register with it for remote proctoring.
ACER will abide by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
You have the right to:
- inspect your Personal Information;
- request amendment of your Personal Information; and
- make a complaint in respect of a breach of your privacy.