Applicants must meet one of the following conditions:
- are undertaking year 11 and wish to sit the LAT prior to their HSC year. LAT results are valid for 2 years, so year 11 students sitting in 2024 can use their results to apply to study Law at UNSW in 2026.
- are currently enrolled in their final year of secondary schooling (year 12 HSC or equivalent).
- have already completed their secondary schooling (e.g. those on a gap year).
- are currently studying at university and wish to apply to transfer to Law (except UNSW Sydney students applying for Internal Program Transfer).
The following applicants are not eligible to sit LAT:
- international applicants^
- students in a school year beneath year 11. This includes students in year 10 or lower who are studying subjects at year 11 level or higher.
Applicants not required to sit LAT
The following applicants are not required to sit LAT:
- UNSW Sydney students applying for Internal Program Transfer (IPT) to Law. IPT applicants will be assessed on their UNSW Sydney results only
- indigenous students undertaking the Pre-Law Program at UNSW Sydney. Pre-Law students are assessed under multiple criteria in the Pre-Law Program
- students eligible to apply through the UNSW Gateway Admission Pathway.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not register for LAT unless you are planning to apply for admission to UNSW Bachelor of Laws commencing in 2025 or 2026 AND you meet the eligibility criteria.
*Australian citizens and permanent residents and New Zealand citizens.
^Applicants who are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen.